Was 2017 the best year ever? Lots of momentum heading into 2018? Awesome! Was 2017 an awful year and you would just as soon forget it? Looking forward to hitting the reset button Sunday night at midnight? Either way there are definitely some things you can do to make 2018 your best year ever!
- Do not make New Years Resolutions. This is probably the worst thing you can do. Instead of making the verbal New Years Resolution why don’t you try creating a real plan and strategy for 2018. Set goals. Create milestones and objectives. Put together a real action plan for achievement. The more time you spend on this – the more effective it will be…but it’s gotta be on paper. It must be written. This is far too important to keep between your ears.
- Kill bad habits and nurture good habits. There are so many great articles and resources out there on how to kill off a bad habit and how to make those good habits part of your daily life. Find these resources. You can stop smoking. You can lose weight. You can save money. You can do anything – but a silly little New Years Resolution ain’t gonna cut it. It takes knowledge and it takes a lot of work – as is the case with anything worth accomplishing. Imagine a year from today if you figured out how to kill off some of those bad habits and leverage your good habits!
- Say ‘yes’ more. Say ‘no’ more. This one is tricky and depends on who you are and what you are doing. If your time is in demand and you are super busy – learn to say ‘no’ more. You can’t be everything to everyone and you won’t make everybody happy – so manage your time better by saying ‘no’ more often in 2018. That said, what if you are not quite there yet? What if you are actually looking for things to do? My advice is to say ‘yes’ more often. Jump on more projects. Volunteer and help people more often. Either way – saying ‘yes’ or ‘no’ this coming year can really have a positive impact.
- Make decisions faster. While we believe wholeheartedly in gathering information and doing your due diligence – that doesn’t preclude you from making decisions quickly. Lingering issues floating around in your head for days, weeks, and months do you absolutely no good. Get this stuff out of your head. Some of the best business owners and entrepreneurs in the world make super fast decisions. Move into action mode versus being paralyzed in analytical mode. No doubt this will make 2018 much more productive!
- Pick something for 2018. One thing. Anything. Decide to do something BIG and do it. Spend 365 days doing it. It might be a huge project you have always wanted to tackle. It might be learning a foreign language. It might be starting that small business. You get to pick it. Once you decide this “one thing” – you gotta take action. Do something everyday. Make a call. Send an email. Read a chapter. 365 baby steps can lead to a massive accomplishment that you will be proud of for the rest of your life. Do it again in 2019. 2020. 2021. Can you imagine the impact?
- Use technology. Make it work for you. I am a big believer is taking advantage of the technology available to make our lives better. I also know you can get caught up in that trap of the technology becoming more of a burden than a fix. I am guilty of that. Select the technology you use carefully. Maybe you don’t need that iPhone X. Maybe you don’t need a subscription to Office 365. Don’t waste money. Don’t waste time. That said – the other trap you can fall into is maintaining the status quo and not leveraging some great assets that can be very beneficial. It is a fine line. Technology used correctly can save you money and buy you time. If something you are using doesn’t do one of those two things…you can probably ditch it…or find out from someone why it’s not working for you.
- Take your health very seriously. But don’t go crazy. So basically if you are 6′ under 2018 isn’t going to be that great of a year. Make this the year you take your health seriously. Don’t go overboard. We see people go from one extreme to the other…silly. Be practical. Be realistic. Maybe you won’t run a 26 mile marathon this year…but you can certainly run, jog, or walk a mile or two a day. Maybe you won’t put the Coke down forever…but you can certainly drink more water and less sodas in 2018. Be serious about your mental health as well as your physical health. Stress is a major killer. Good money management and time management can reduce stress a ton.
These are just a few little suggestions on how you can make 2018 a great year. Feel free to throw in some of your own suggestions below – we love comments.
Happy New Year!